Logan’s Ark

September 2005

This was another of those “good intention” quilts. I knew that Logan (my nephew, now 12) was due in August of 2005. So, I started this quilt in April. I thought, “I have plenty of time”.

Geesh. You’d think I’d learn.

The problem was the specialty appliqué. I cut Noah’s Ark Animals out of a special fabric to appliqué on the ark… But, I wanted them to stand out—to be noticed. So I stuffed them. I wanted them to have a 3-D effect. It was a great idea… but it was harder than I don’t know what to do!

It sometimes took weeks to do one animal—by hand!

The whole process nearly killed me… okay… I’m exaggerating a little… but, just a little.

I began by enlarging (by 4) an Ark block pattern I found in a book. That wasn’t that hard to do. In fact, I was pleasantly surprised by how easy it had been and by how well it turned it out. Then of course I added the border frames. Again—Easy. But, once I started those animals on the top… well, months went by before I was finished.

By the time I got the top finished Logan was several weeks old. Finally completed the whole thing in September. I felt horrible that I had taken so long to finish it—BUT, Christy and Tracy (my brother and his wife) seemed thrilled with it, so I was glad that I had done it the way I did.

Next time though—I’m starting a whole year in advance!

About angieabk

"I'd like to think of myself as a blended mix of Southern charm and humor. What I really am is a hot mess of sin and sass. Jesus loves me either way."

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s